Saturday, February 28, 2009

Orange Almond Salad

This salad is always a huge hit!

Here is the dressing recipe

In a blender:
1/3 cup vinegar
3/4 cup white sugar (I use a little bit less)
2 green onions chopped (I know they get blended but I always chop them first)
1 1/2 tsp prepared mustard (I don't usually measure, I just squeeze a little bit in. And yes, it's just the mustard from your fridge)

While blending, add 1 cup oil slowly (slowly is the key). My favorite is Mazola, but Canola and Crisco (vegetable) work perfectly too.

Add to the salad:
Toasted or Sugared Nuts (Slivered Almonds or Pecans....you could probably use walnuts too, but I really really don't like walnuts so have never tried them)
- To toast, lay on a baking sheet and put in oven at 350 until brown. Keep a close watch - they burn easily
- To sugar, melt 2 Tbsp margarine in a pan, add 2 Tbsp white sugar and mix. add about 1 cup of nuts. Cook until brown - but again, keep a close watch as they will burn easily. Stir often....when they are finished, pour them onto a plate and let them cool. Break apart to add to salad (they taste really great plain too).
Mandarin Orange Segments
- Canned Mandarins - just break into small pieces
- Fresh Mandarins or other oranges work as well, cut into small pieces
- Pears, Strawberries, or even apples are also a great alternative
Grated Cheese
- Asiago, Feta, or Swiss Emmental are the best. But I've also used Parmesan and Mozzarella.
Bacon Bits (I don't add these...if you do, only the *real* bacon bits taste good. The simulated ones are too hard)

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment