Saturday, February 28, 2009

Butternut Squash

I have never made squash. My dad makes a great spaghetti squash (recipe to come) but I myself have never. So I thought I would venture into land of squash and start with Butternut Squash. I was more than pleasantly surprised....and find myself almost craving it some nights. And it's sooo easy and quick!

Cut Butternut Squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the *guts*. Spray cookie sheet with pam and lay squash face down. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. Flip carefully. You can do the following two different ways (I prefer the second way).

Put 1 Tbsp of margarine into the *pocket* of each half and add 1 Tbsp brown sugar. sprinkle pepper and cinnamon (about 1/4 tsp) over each half. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes. I like to *baste* the squash with the butter/sugar mixture ever couple of minutes. Then scoop out to serve (I just serve it whole and let each person scoop out what they want).

OR

Let Squash cool. Skin and cube into bite sized pieces. Place in small baking dish (I do love corning ware) and add 1 1/2 Tbsp margarine and brown sugar. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon (about 1/4 tsp) and bake for 15-20 minutes, mixing twice.

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 4 STARS (My husband liked it but overall doesn't love squash so it wasn't his favorite...I LOOOOVED it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment