Saturday, February 28, 2009

mmm...Enchiladas

This recipe comes from my sister in law, Rachelle (although I don't think she made it up). I've only made a few changes to customize it for our family :) It's a little more time consuming than some other recipes I use, but still is not too bad and is really easy - not to mention Scrumptious!

Appropriately named - Rachelle's Enchiladas :)

Filling:
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped (handy chopper again)
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp chili powder (I use closer to 2)
1 tsp salt (I do not add salt)
1 tsp garlic powder (I use 1 1/2)
1/2 tsp cumin (I use 1)
1/4 tsp rubbed sage (I've never added this)
1 can stewed tomatoes (I blend these together first in either the handy chopper (of course) or my food processor)

Cook beef and onion. Add flour and seasonings and mix well. Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. I just usually let it simmer without making sure it boils first.

Sauce:
4-6 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 cup flour
1 can beef broth
1 can tomato sauce (15 oz) (I just use our spaghetti sauce - president's choice brand with mushrooms)
1 cup water (use the tomato sauce can (half full) to get the remaining sauce out too)
1-2 Tbsp chili powder (I use about 3)
1-2 tsp cumin (I use about 3)
1-2 tsp sage (never added)
1/2 tsp salt (never added)

Saute garlic in margarine until tender. Stir in flour until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until bubbly (I just add the rest of the ingredients right away - I don't wait). Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings. Heath through. Lightly cover bottom of pan (casserole dish) with sauce (so tortillas don't stick).

Fill each tortilla shell with about 1/4 cup of filling (I don't actually measure it out - I just scoop some with a spoon)and some shredded cheese. Roll tightly to fit as many as you can into the dish (there is usually some extra space at the end of the pan - I usually squeeze some in going the other direction or I cut a couple in half and put them in for the kids). Pour the remaining sauce over top.

Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. If you've just finished making the filling and sauce and they are still hot, you only need about 15 minutes to cook. Then top with shredded cheese and put in oven until melted.

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 5 STARS

**Add garlic toast and a salad to finish this meal off. The Orange Almond Salad is my favorite but any will work**

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe although you already gave it to me. I was actually just about to get up and look in the cupboard for it to make for dinner, but this was way easier. I rate it a 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete