Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Stuffed Pasta Shells - kids lunch today

I love finding ways of putting veggies into food. Things like squash, pumpkin, and other veggies are so good and can be pretty easy to *hide*. Although my kids are really pretty good at eating their veggies I still like finding ways that make it a bit easier for them to eat even more . This was another way to do just that - and using butternut squash, which I love.

Stuffed Pasta Shells (from Original Fast Foods)
1 lb large whole grain pasta shells
2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (I only used 1 squash)
2 cups apple juice (fresh) - I did not use fresh

Cook pasta shells, rinse and drain and set aside to cool while squash is cooking. Combine squash and apple juice in saucepan and cook until tender. Add contents to a blender and blend until creamy. Spoon mixture into cooled pasta shells and place into baking dish and cover with tomato walnut sauce (I just used spaghetti sauce but you can find the recipe HERE). Bake at 350 for 30 minutes and Enjoy!

I cooked the squash in the oven first to soften it. Cutting in half lengthwise, spoon out the *guts* and lay face down on a sprayed (pam) cookie sheet. Cooke for 15-20 minutes at 350. Let cool and skin and cube. Cook in apple juice and blend as described. So the shells we bought were not really *stuffable* so instead I just mixed the squash/apple juice mixture in with the spaghetti sauce. And I topped with a bit of cheese because, well cheese makes everything taste better. LOL

AWESOME!!! It was seriously awesome! My daughter asked for seconds and both my friend and I had a small side of it with our Tabbouleh. I'm really excited about this - considering the only other way I cook butternut squash is with butter and brown sugar - DELISH but definitely not *healthy*. LOL

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment