Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Lentil Soup

Yep - ANOTHER soup. We actually have leftovers from the dinner I made the other night but I plan to make those into enchiladas tomorrow and wanted to get out of making lunch for Brent tomorrow. LOL So I whipped this soup up - sooo fast!

1/4 cup red lentils
1/4 cup brown lentils (only had red so used 1/2 cup)
1/4 split peas
1/4 cup ABC pasta (optional - I added barley instead)
1 whole onion, peeled and chopped
5 cups water
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 tomatoes, diced (I forgot to add these)
2 potatoes, chopped or diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 vegetable bouillon cubes (I only had 1 left, so I used 1 veg and 1 chicken)

Combine and heat lentils, peas, water, and onions in a pot for 45 minutes. Add other ingredients and cook another 20 minutes. Serve. I added some pepper and additional water to make it a bit more brothy (especially with the barley in the soup). Delicious....You could add a pinch of cayenne pepper if you wanted it a little spicey...or play around with some other spices too. I also added some diced red pepper and would probably add corn next time too. Great winter meal!

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 4 1/2 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment