Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Burrito Enchiladas

CHECK OUT THE RATING HERE

I love me some enchiladas :D So when I happened upon this recipe (from Original Fast Foods) I knew I had to try it!

I was hoping to make it this evening for supper, but it turns out the creamed beans have to be cooked for 8 hours before you can *cream* them - so it'll have to wait until tomorrow. :(

Here's the Recipe for the creamed beans - and then I'll post the enchilada recipe :)

Creamed Beans (yield 8 cups)
4 cups dried pinto beans or dried black beans (I used black)
Enough water to cover beans (at least 2 inches)
1 large onion or 2 medium onions, chopped
2-4 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced (I just did 3 cloves)
1-2 tsp sea salt (optional - I did not add this)
1 herb bouque made from parsley, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaves (I did not have fresh herbs so added about 1 1/2 tsp of each - we'll see how it turns out)

Soak your choice of beans overnight, then drain and rinse. Place beans in slow cooker with onions, herbs, and garlic. Cover with water by at least 2 inches and cook for 8 hours, adding water as necessary. After beans are cooked, remove herb bouquet (I will just have to strain mine out I think), pour off any remaining water and reserve for blending. Place half the beans in a blender and blend until smooth. Add reserved cook water as needed. Return blended beans to slow cooker and mix well. You can blend all beans if you want them 100% creamy.

Burrito Enchiladas
10 to 12 tortillas (I bought whole wheat ones)
5 cups creamed beans (see recipe above)
4 cups cooked brown rice (I am just using the rice we have...kokuho I think)
1 lb. sliced mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup olives, sliced (will be leaving out)
1 recipe, salsa (will make my own epicure fruit salsa which I LOVE)
1 recipe guacamole (will also make my own - will post recipe after)
1 recipe red or white enchilada sauce (I will be making the red but will post both options below)

Saute onion and mushrooms in vegetable broth and set aside. Pour 2 cups of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish. Spread beans, rice, and mushrooms down the center of each tortilla. Roll and place seam side down in dish. Pour remaining sauce over tortillas. Sprinkle with green onions, corn, and olives. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Garnish with salsa and guacamole - Enjoy! (I am seriously bummed as I want to eat this now!!)

NOTE: I will be adding shredded cheese in them as well and may even add a can of green chilies to the mix as well. We'll see :)

Guacamole #1 (from the book)
3-4 ripe avocados
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tsp lemon juice

Guacamole #2 (the one I'll be using - from Company's Coming Mexican)
4 ripe avocados
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup mayonnaise/miracle whip
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt (I don't put this in)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (I don't put this in)
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced (I don't put this in either)

**This recipe can be frozen if you have not put the tomatoes in**

Red Enchilada Sauce (the one I'll be using)
4 1/2 cups water or vegetable stock (I'll be using vegetable stock)
1 8 oz can tomato paste
1 cup celery minced (use the handy chopper machine)
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dry mustard (I will have to use regular mustard as I am out of dry)

Add water/veg stock and tomato paste in saucepan on medium-high heat and whisk until smooth. Add remaining ingredients, and mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

White Enchilada Sauce
2 21 oz cans coconut milk
1-2 cups cilantro, chopped
1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1-2 limes, juiced
1 pinch of salt
3-5 Tbsp Ultra Gel (any grain based thickener)

Combine all ingredients except Ultra Gel in a blender and blend until smooth. Bring to a slow boil and then simmer in a sauce pan until sauce is slightly thickened (30-40 minutes). Add 3-5 Tbsp Ultra Gel until desired thickness is achieved.

So as mentioned - this will be dinner tomorrow night!! I am sooo excited! Will let you know the verdict when we've tried it and will note any alterations I make :)

No comments:

Post a Comment