Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cafe Rio Recipe!

My sister in law, Rachelle, made this for her 5 year old's birthday party. It was DIVINE and I have been thinking about it since. So we got all the ingredients together and I made it this past Sunday. mmmmm...although I think my blender didn't get the cilantro quite as good as I would have liked so it was a bit too cilantro-y for me....but still super delicious!

Pork:
4 lbs roast
1 cup salsa
1 cup brown sugar
1 can sprite
1 Tbsp dry mustard (I used regular mustard because I am out of dry)
4 cloves garlic, minced (handy chopper!)

Place all in the crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. I chose to do it on low for 8 and shredded it with forks at about the 6 hour mark, then left it in the sauce for the last 2.

Rice:
3 cups water
4 tsp chicken bouillon
4 cloves garlic
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro (I put about 1/8 of a bunch in, if that)
1 can green chilies
1 tsp salt (I didn't put it in - I imagine the bouillon has enough salt anyways)
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion
3 cups rice

Blend all ingredients with 1 cup of water and add to pot of rice and remaining water. I used my rice cooker instead of doing it on stovetop. It worked great.

Dressing:
1 large jalapeno, seeded (don't forget to seed it....)
4 cloves garlic
4 shakes of tabasco
1/2 cup green salsa (Safeway Select Brand Salsa Verde)
Juice of 1 lime
bunch of cilantro (again, I hardly put any)
1 package of ranch dressing mix1 1/2 cups of sour cream
1 cup mayo

Blend everything except the mayo and sour cream until green pieces are little. Then stir in mayo and sour cream.

On your plate layer:
rice, meat, black beans (rinsed and drained), guacamole, fresh salsa (or store bought if you prefer), grated cheese, lettuce, and the dressing. Crumble taco chips in the mix too and ENJOY! Don't dish up a lot at first - I promise it won't look like much but quickly becomes a mass amount. And with the rice, it's sooo filling.

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment