Tuesday, March 3, 2009

what's cooking?

So what do you cook for supper on a busy day when you are out of the house pretty much ALL day? let's think....I haven't always been great at planning ahead nor have I always made it a priority to have an actual *meal* for supper. But in the past month or so I have changed that...my grocery shopping has changed, my cooking has changed...and honestly meal time overall has changed. And I LOVE it. One of my goals for this year is to keep this up and to make each meal count....making it well balanced and full of variety. I didn't completely succeed with this tonight but I at least made dinner :) I feel like a better wife and mother when I make dinner...when I know what we are having and it's either ready or near ready when my husband comes home from work. And it's been an awesome way to help our daughter (and son to be honest) try more foods. There are things she doesn't like (sweet potatoes for example) and that's okay, but at least she tried it. Turns out, she LOVES the hot potato salad...(of course anything *salad* and she loves it. lol). So I took the kids to my in laws for the day today but had to be back by 530 in time to fix supper and be ready for a nutrition course I'm taking with 5 other friends! So, thinking ahead this morning (I love it when I do that), I took out some hamburger to let it thaw.

Nothing fancy for supper - I just planned spaghetti....but it's filling and delicious and everyone loves it. I ended up getting home at 545pm which left 30 minutes to make supper and get ready (I ate on the way...thankfully Tara drives!!). I'm grateful for an extremely helpful husband as well who filled in the gaps where I needed help.

First I got the spaghetti going so it would be ready in time. Then we cooked the hamburger (by we, I mean my husband. lol) and added the spaghettic sauce (prego with mushrooms...surprisingly it's been cheaper than the president's choice brand the last few times). I also sprinkle in some garlic powder, parmesan cheese, and italian seasoning. And my husband grew up always putting grated cheese on top so we do that now too :)

I personally prefer sauteed veggies and sauce (so meatless). I sautee onions, celery, carrots (soo good), zucchini, mushrooms, and red peppers. I pour the sauce and *cook* it with the veggies (once soft) and add garlic powder, parmesan cheese, and a little bit of italian seasoning. Then I pour it over my spaghetti and add the grated cheddar. It's sooo yummy...and filling.

Normally I would have made garlic toast and a salad, but there just wasn't time tonight (those extra 15 minutes would have really helped) and I know, that although my husband loves salad, it wasn't a huge deal not to have one.

So that's what's cooking...

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 4 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment