Friday, March 13, 2009

Sour Cream Chicken

I made this recipe once before and both Brent and I LOVED it. A friend tried it the next night and wasn't as thrilled....but this is definitely one we'll be making again :) In fact, I did it again just the other night - lol. But I modified it and instead of chicken breasts I used chicken drumsticks. Honestly it was still good but I do prefer the chicken breasts.

4 boneless chicken breasts
1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup sour cream or yogurt (I used sour cream)
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp minced onion
1 tsp lemon juice
Bread crumbs


Put Chicken in dish and top with salt and pepper. Combine ingredients and pour over chicken. Top with bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes (60 minutes for 8 breasts). Serve over rice.

When I made it this last time I actually doubled the recipe and instead of two cans of mushroom soup I added 1 of mushroom and one of cream of chicken. It was great!

Also - I served it over fried rice. I rarely (to never) make just plain rice. It's just not as yummy, which I'm sure our Japanese student would disagree with. LOL I sautee veggies first - onion, celery, carrots (mmm..start with these as they take the longest), and anything else I have....Sometimes, mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, peppers (my husband doesn't really like pepper so I rarely put them in), and I LOVE to add corn :) Once everything is sauteed I add the cooked rice (rice cooker) and mix together with some seasoning salt. I usually add some chopped green onions at the end as well. It's sooo good - and with the chicken sauce in it too....divine!!!

I also steamed some broccoli and made the most delicious cheese sauce (from my mother in law).

Melt 2 Tbsp butter/margarine
Add 2 Tbsp flour and mix well
Add 1 cup milk (I do this all in my small measuring cup and just fill to the 1 cup line)
Stir well (I use my mini whisk)
microwave until thickens (not too thick) in 30-45 second increments, stirring each time
Add pepper and 3-4 heaping Tbsps Cheez Whiz. Mix well

Soooo...yummy!! Add a Salad or even some garlic toast to complete the meal perfectly.

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 4 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment