Thursday, March 5, 2009

Vegetarian, but definitely not vegan...

On today's menu....Spinach and Cheese Manicotti, Caesar Salad, and Garlic Bread!

The Manicotti is the only *new* recipe so here it goes....

Filling:
1 (15oz) container of Ricotta Cheese
1 (10oz) package of frozen, chopped spinach - thawed and squeezed dry (I only use about 3/4 of the spinach)
1/2 cup minced onion (that handy chopper again)
1 egg
2 tsp minced fresh parsley (I use dried)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder (I also add 1 minced clove of garlic when I mince the onion in the handy chopper)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (I just use regular parm cheese....I don't buy a block of it)

Mix together in a bowl. Cook Manicotti noodles - Add half of them to a pot of boiling water for 6 minutes. Take out and put in strainer and add remaining noodles to pot. 6 minutes...this makes them soft enough that they don't take forever to cook AND they are still really easy to fill!

Mix together (I use a large measuring cup because it's easy to pour from):
26 oz spaghetti sauce
1 1/2 cups water

Pour a little sauce onto bottom of casserole dish so noodles don't stick. Place filled manicotti shells in a single layer and pour remaining sauce overtop. Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350. Top with 1/4 cup parmesan and 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella. I usually turn off the oven and just let it sit in the oven for 10-15 minutes while I get the rest of the supper put together.

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: (will let you know...it's not the first time I've made it, but the first time I've eaten it with a rating in mind. obviously it's good enough to make again though!)

Okay so the final rating is 3.5 STARS....this is a dish I personally really enjoy, although I couldn't say it's a 5 STAR dish....it's not my husband's favorite but he'll eat it (he eats anything) - but he was also looking for more after supper as it wasn't *satisfying*. We had Tara over for supper as well..She liked it but wasn't raving about it....So I imagine they would both give it a 3. I make this dish about once a year (maybe twice) - it'll probably stay that way. I much prefer to make a meal my husband LOVES...this will be saved for *just me* nights :)

No comments:

Post a Comment