Monday, March 2, 2009

Monday's Menu...

So after going grocery shopping today my fridge is STOCKED!!! I love it...drawers and shelves of vegetables...meat options...and lettuce - I LOVE lettuce (well salads actually. lol). Although surprisingly I didn't make a lettuce salad tonight....Here's what I did make!!!

Shish kabob (meat, celery, onions, mushroom, zucchini, and red peppers)
Hot potato salad
Sweet Potatoes
Cucumber Salad

And it was BRILLIANT!! A fabulous meal to sort of end the day.

The Shish kabob
...we use stewed beef although it can sometimes be a little tough...so if you want excellent meat, use a steak cut up. Then chop up the veggies and place in a bowl. I put the meat and veggies in separate bowls...drizzle with olive oil and season with Steak Spice (and I add a roasted garlic and peppers spice by Club House to the veggies as well). I let it sit while I get the rest of the food ready. And skewer and bbq. We only have wood skewers which are not the best...definitely invest in metal ones.For presentation purposes I love alternating between meet and veggies - but for cooking it's sometimes nicer to cook all meat on some and all veggies on others. Then you can put the veggies on a few minutes before the meat - otherwise the meat can overcook sometimes waiting for the veggies to be done. Just a tip ;)



Oh yes...Hot potato Salad....I have already posted this recipe but will post it here for kicks. It is DIVINE!!! I had invited a friend last night to come for supper tonight and she crazily declined. When I told her tonight what I was making she said, "So remind me why I declined the offer?" And when I said I was making hot potato salad she stopped dead..."Seriously?" - it's her favorite....bet she won't decline next time I offer! ;) By the way, Jenn - it was SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS!!! *giggle*

Peeled Potatoes (I count about 2 per person and then add a few just because)1 Package of bacon (cooked in the oven on parchment paper at 350 until crispy)1 Medium onion (chopped and then fried in the bacon grease poured off from cookie sheet - I know...*ick* but trust me...it is just brilliant!). Cook potatoes until done (don't overcook them). Add cooked and chopped bacon to pot of potatoes (cook it while potatoes are cooking). Add sauteed onions and mix. Add in mayonnaise (maybe about 1/2 cup - but play around with amounts a little) and season with seasoning salt (really it's a personal preference...I have no idea how much - I know that is not helpful at all...a few Tbsp maybe). Oh and don't *mash* the potatoes but most of them end up sort of creaming together...

Sweet Potatoes
*yay to my mother in law for coming up with this....or copying whoever told her about it. LOL*
Peel sweet potato and slice into strips about 1/2" wide and 2-3" long (just to give you an idea). Smash a few garlic cloves and spread around in dish. Drizzle with olive oil and season with oregano. Bake in oven at 350 for about an hour....(So I like to do this first so it can just cook while I do everything else). For me, the longer the better...I like some to get a little crispy. Mmmm

Cucumber Salad - I LOVE it when I make this. And our kids LOVE it too!!! This is my sister in law's recipe...I half this recipe for 1 whole cucumber - it's still a little bit too much dressing, so you could add another half a cucumber if you wanted :) I cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and then slice. So they are half circles.



1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp dill
1/2 tsp seasoning salt



Over all this dinner's SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING IS: 5 STARS...my husband doesn't care for the sweet potatoes (nor does our daughter) so I should perhaps give them a 4 STAR rating. Although Jenn (the one who crazily declined dinner tonight) had them 2 weeks ago when I took her dinner (enchilada's, sweet potatoes, and orange almond salad) and she LOVED them. Guess it depends if you like sweet potatoes to start with. LOL

This was a great meal!

2 comments:

  1. is that fresh dill or dried on the cucumber salad! I am so trying this one tomorrow! LOVE YOUR BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  2. just dried dill...never tried it with fresh....this is a favorite of ours though and a great and quick side dish! not to mention delicious! My kids both devour it!

    ReplyDelete