Monday, February 22, 2010

Magical Healing Soup...

My new book came in the mail!!! And I am SO excited about it. It's called The Kind Diet  by Alicia Silverstone and it's fabulous. She has gone entirely Vegan (for about 12 years now) and has some really fabulous recipes in her book - I will be trying all of them at some point and giving my honest review.

When we all woke up feeling kind of sick this weekend I knew this soup was on the top of my list. So today I went grocery shopping to buy all sorts of fabulous veggies (some the first time ever) and came home to make this delicious soup.

You can check out alicia's website HERE if you want more information or additional recipes - there's an awesome giveaway linked on her site right now so check it out.

I am not going to post her exact recipe as I made some adjustments - I'll just post how I made it and you can vary it any way you want.

6 cups of water in a large pot
3 carrots, chopped
1/4 daikon, in large chunks (they had this at wal-mart....I'd never even heard of or noticed it before)
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/4 yellow onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
a handful of broccoli florets
3 mushrooms chopped
1 leek sliced (I LOVE leeks)
1 baby bok choy, chopped
a handful of bean sprouts, chopped in half by my adorable daughter!
Ginger juice to taste - I have store bought minced ginger but was able to press the spoon into the jar and squeeze out some of the juice. I also put some of the actual ginger into the soup.
Shoyu to taste - I am making the switch gradually to healthier versions of certain ingredients so for now I just used soy sauce
AND I did add one chicken bouillon cube which I know defeats the purpose of it being a veggie soup but it was perfect. LOL

I boiled the first 6 ingredients for about 15 minutes, then added everything else for about 5-7 minutes more....

In Alicia's version of this soup she recommends topping the soup with watercress, mochi, and nori. I have never used any of these and was unable to find them today...but the hunt is on!

More fabulous recipes to come!!! Seriously - I am so excited about this book and the recipes sound awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment