Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fruit Punch

I don't know about you, but I've often wondered if there were good ways to make homemade juice. I can modify recipes but I'm not so good at coming up with them myself, so I was really excited to try this Fruit Punch Recipe when I saw it in Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook!

2 Cups Raspberry Puree
1 Cup Pineapple Puree
1/2 Cup Carrot Puree
2 Cups Cold Water
1/4 Cup Sugar (or comparable substitute)
Ice, For Serving

Blend all ingredients (except ice) until smooth.

Okay so the raspberries could make this quite a pricey drink to have on hand regularly. But I also think juice is one of those things that we shouldn't be having or giving our kids on a regular basis - though I am sooo guilty of this. We have frozen raspberries (picked fresh last summer) in our freezer so I was able to do that portion with literally no cost involved - probably the best part. LOL

The taste...good....the raspberries make it a little tart (hence the sugar) but it was yummy. My daughter and her friend (who is typically leary about trying new things...particularly considering this one had all the raspberry seeds) LOVED it and asked for seconds immediately. So it was definitely a success. My husband, friend, and I also liked it....though I would tend to save it for the kids simply because I am really trying to drink mainly water (not too successfully though) and this recipes doesn't make a ton. I do think you could probably add a bit more water....and change the fruit up a bit. I wonder if adding strawberry puree might eliminate the need for the sugar?? I also wonder if you could actually switch the raspberry puree out for other fruits - blueberries, peaches, or any other kind or mixture of fruit your kids like. Change it up, try something new :)

I say this is a great alternative for kids.....I actually think it would taste awesome with ginger ale, fresca, or 7up/Sprite...but that would also completely defeat the purpose. LOL

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 4 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment