Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Big Fat Greek Salad

With the Crunchy Chicken Yakitori I wanted a salad as well as the risotto I made (recipe HERE). I had eyed this one a couple of times so I decided to try it. I absolutely LOVE cucumbers and feta and generally greek dressing is so delicious. So I wanted to try this. It also comes from the Spatulatta Cookbook - check out the website HERE.

2 ripe red plum tomatoes (I know it's silly but I really don't like tomatoes so I left these out)
2 cucumbers, peeled (we didn't peel them)
4oz feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup Kalamata olives (I don't love these so didn't use any)
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar, optional (I say it's a must but that's just me)
1 Tbsp dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (I did not add salt, as usual)

I mixed the dressing together before pouring over the *salad* - but this recipes says to drizzle separately.

I really enjoyed this salad, as did our company. It was light and delicious, but definitely had flavor. And the red onions with the feta - divine!!! I love it, of course I LOVE red onions. My only complaint and therefore recommendation is that today for lunch it was really bland. I wouldn't say this is a great *leftover* dish....but you could keep the salad *undressed* and just put dressing on it as needed. I'm sure I'll be doing that. What a great side dish for lunch and supper.

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment