Monday, March 8, 2010

Moroccan Couscous with Saffron

I am staying up later than I should to post a few recipes....I just know if I don't do it now it will easily be another week before I feel like I can make the time again. And this recipe is so good I don't want any of you to go another week without it. LOL

This recipe is from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone.

2 cups peeled butternut squash, cubed (little teeny cubes)
2 cups yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 cups carrots, cubed/sliced
1 1/2 cups zucchini, cubed
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Fine Sea Salt
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I make 2 cups usually with 1 block of boullion)
2 Tbsp Butter (Earth Balance if you are vegan)
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp saffron threads
1 1/2 cups whole wheat couscous (okay I cheated...I bought the olive oil and garlic flavored one)
2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped (I used leeks instead)

Preheat oven (I did it at 350). Place chopped veggies on baking sheet and toss with olive oil, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper (I tossed them in a bowl first...easier that way). Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning once with a spatula halfway through.

While the vegetables roast, bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a pot. Remove from head and stir in butter, remaining 1/2 tsp pepper, cumin, saffron, and salt to taste. Cover and steep for 15 minutes.

Scrape roasted veggies into a large bowl and add the couscous. Bring the veggie broth back to a boil and pour over the couscous mixture all at once. Cover tightly with a plate and allow to stand for 15 minutes. Add scallions, toss with a fork, and serve.

I have made it twice now - once with saffron and once without. Don't let the high price of saffron scare you away - it's so light I think you'll be surprised how inexpensive it ends up being. That being said - I didn't personally find a difference between the two.

I LOVE this dish. Really and truly LOVE it...and this will be one making a regular occurance in our home. It makes a great lunch or a fabulous side dish for supper.

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment