Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Crunchy Chicken Yakitori

Well the goal to try new recipes regularly has begun! I have been cooking and have tried new ones here and there, but now I'm really committed to making use of all these fabulous cookbooks I have. I rearranged part of my kitchen today and it feels (and looks) awesome....I've narrowed my cookbook shelf down to a few that I want to get through - at which point I will bring some other ones back into the kitchen to get through.

Brooklyn has been *cooking* a lot lately - which basically means she's mixing a bunch of food and wasting it. LOL I don't want to get upset because I'm so excited she's showing an interest in cooking and creating and is taking the initiative to try things herself. However I also want to help her understand the importance of not wasting food and in lots of cases, of following a recipe. So I've promised to involve her way more in the cooking aspect.....I'm really excited - I hope she loves cooking as much as I love it.

On the menu last night was a recipe I had all the ingredients for. I did buy groceries - after making a meal plan for the week - but loved that I didn't have to buy anything for this particular dish. It also means it will be an easy one to do in a pinch as the ingredients are pretty much staples in our house *yay*

This recipe comes from the Spatulatta Cookbook I picked up at Brooklyn's school book fair. Check out the website HERE for more fabulous recipes and ideas. It's a great site and cookbook with recipes made and tested by kids.

Crunch Chicken Yakitori

1/4 cup soy sauce (preferably low sodium)
3 minced garlic cloves
1  inch piece fresh gingerroot, grated or minced (I finally bought the jar of minced ginger because every time I buy a piece it goes bad in the fridge)
1 Tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (I did about 4 breasts), cut into 1" strips
2 cups cornflakes

The recipes suggests skewering the chicken, but I opted not to and baked on a parchment lined cookie sheet instead. BUT if you are going to skewer these, soak them in cold water for about an hour (so they don't burn).

Combine soy sauce, garlic, ginger, honey, and sesame oil in a bowl and stir until honey disappears. (This is the marinade) Pour into a plastic bag and add the chicken, closing bag tightly. I didn't use a bag, instead I used THIS fabulous container I recently purchased from Tupperware!!! I highly recommend it!

Marinate for about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350

Place corn flakes in a plastic bag and smash (use a rolling pin if you'd like). Pour onto a plate and roll marinated chicken in to coat. Then skewer (again, I didn't do this) and bake until chicken is cooked through and golden brown - about 10-15 minutes.

I really enjoyed this recipe...it was yummy, moist, and easy. And my kids really liked it too, which is always a plus. I will definitely make this again, though I may also try a ranch/sour cream type *marinade* next time - with the corn flakes....ooo delish!

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 4.5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment