Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sour Cream and Chicken Enchiladas

I have always loved - LOVED - chicken enchiladas. The way they look fresh out of the oven - makes my mouth water. Unfortunately for me, my husband isn't a huge fan. He much prefers his sister's enchiladas, which I can't blame him for. They are DIVINE! But I don't really think they can be compared - chicken vs hamburger. I love both...equally I'd say....for different reasons.

When I saw my cousin Kym's recipe for her Chicken Enchiladas I knew I wanted to try them. They really are pretty similar to the other recipes I've tried over the years, except for the southwest or cajun seasoning for the chicken. I knew I should have doubled the sauce recipe like I normally do, but even still - these were delicious. Brent chose to eat the leftover soup from the night before which was fine by me. More for my tummy :D I also had a friend over (and her husband stopped by after work later that night and also enjoyed a couple) and another friend for lunch the next day - this meal was definitely enjoyed! Here's how you do it:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 3 and cubed them pretty small)
2 Tbsp oil
1 package southwest or Cajun seasoning (I just bought cajun seasoning and sprinkled the chicken while I cooked it - not sure how much...maybe 1-2 Tbsp?)
1 small can green chilis or 1/2 cup salsa (I used green chilis)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2-1 cup milk
2 cups cheddar cheese
10 large flour tortillas (the 3 chicken breasts gave me enough to fill 8)

Heat oil in large skillet. Add chicken and seasoning and cook until no longer pink inside. Just use garlic and salt if you can't find seasoning - I used my garlic salt with parsley in addition to the cajun seasoning.

Mix remaining ingredients together in large bowl. Dip each tortilla into sauce to coat both sides (I did not do this, figured it would be too messy). Place about 1/4 cup chicken down center of tortilla and roll up, laying seam down in pan. I always put a bit of the sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish so they don't stick. I also put a bit of sauce inside each tortilla along with a small topping of grated cheese :). Pour remainder of sauce on enchiladas and bake for 35 minutes at 350. Then I throw a bit more grated cheese on the top (remember, I'm a cheese addict. lol) and it's ready to serve. DELICIOUS!!! I served this with orange almond salad - nothing else is really needed. It was perfect.

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 5 STARS - FOR SURE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment