Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Yellow Pepper Salsa

I don't love tomatoes...actually I don't even kind of like them. The taste, the smell *ugh* - it all just turns my stomach. Although, I do like everything made from them - tomato soup, salsa, ketchup, etc. Strange I know...one thing I really can't do though is *fresh* salsa...for a long time I didn't even think I liked homemade canned salsa, but I had my auntie Glenda's once and loved it, then a co-workers about 6 years ago (recipe to come), and most recently this beauty - This recipe comes from my friend, Shelley. I am so excited she shared it with me - I honestly polish off a small jar in one sitting. But truthfully there isn't anything *bad* in it, so I don't ever feel guilty - added bonus!

**As a side note....if you wear contacts and have to take them out at some point afterwards, do yourself (and your eyes) a favor and take them out BEFORE you start this. *ouch* and yes, I learned that the hard way.**

2 cups chopped yellow peppers
2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes*
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
*peppers* see below
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup lime juice (I used lemon and it was great)
2 Tbsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp coarse pickling salt
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro (*yuck* I do not put this in...I absolutely despite cilantro. lol)

In a larger pot, combine sweet peppers, tomatoe, garlic, onion, hot peppers, lime juice, vinegar, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in cilantro (if you want your salsa ruined. hehe) and cook for 2 minutes. Ladle into hot jars and process for 20 minutes (I don't actually *process* the jars - I make sure lids are clean and put a small ring of water around top of jar and seal tightly. It will *pop* on it's own). Makes about 4 x 250ml jars.

*To peel tomatoes - drop into boiling water until peel begins to crack. Run cold water over them (so your hands don't burn) and peel...skin should come off easily*

*Peppers - **remember to take seeds of jalapenos out or salsa will be hot**
Mild - 3 jalapeno peppers and 1/4 cup green or red pepper (I use red)
Medium - 3 jalapeno peppers and 2 anaheim peppers
Hot - 3 jalapeno peppers, 2 anaheim peppers, and 1 habanero pepper

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 4 STARS (I say 5, but my husband again wasn't as excited as me...seriously - who asked him anyways. lol)

These make great little gifts at christmas or just because....tie a ribbon around the jar and place on a plate with some tortilla chips - wrap in cellophane if you'd like. So fun!

1 comment:

  1. Yum!! This is one I want to try for sure! Can't wait to see you and your family!

    ReplyDelete