Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Something new...

At 6pm I realized I had nothing planned for dinner - okay I knew well before then, but it suddently occurred to me I might want to *start* planning something. I found some chicken thighs in the freezer and set them out to thaw (I know it`s not recommended but we always thaw them in a sink of hot water anyways...we`ve never gotten sick, so we still do it) and tried to think of what to put on them. I wanted to do bbq sauce but wanted to make one from scratch. So, I went to my trusty source and looked up *bbq sauce*. And this beauty came up....it sounded good and had great reviews, and except for a few, I had all the ingredients. So here it goes:



2 cups ketchup
1 bulb garlic (the whole bulb, not just a clove - I only used about 3/4 of a bulb as that's what I had in the cupboard)
1 cup water
2 Tbsp hot sauce (I did not use any)
1/4 cup honey (I melted it slightly so it would mix in better - no need to heat on the stove when it's going in the oven anyways)
2 Tbsp Molasses (I didn't have any but used some hot & spicy bbq sauce instead to compensate for this and the hot sauce)
2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp salt (did not add...still can't figure out why a recipe would need salt in addition to soy sauce??)
2 Tbsp cajun seasoning (didn't have)
1 pinch paprika
1 pinch crushed red peppers
1 pinch ground white pepper (don't have so just double black pepper)
1 pinch ground black pepper
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp water (I actually used more like 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup butter (I chose not to add this as I didn't think it was necessary)

I mixed all the ingredients in a bowl and put a little on the bottom of the baking dish (so chicken wouldn't stick). Then I put the chicken in and topped with chopped peppers (yellow, red, and orange), celery, carrots, and white onions. Then poured the rest of the sauce over and baked for an hour at 350. Brent said it was *GREAT* (it always makes me smile when he says that about something I've made). We did plain rice tonight but it was perfect with the sauce. Definitely a meal we'll have again!

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment