Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Cream of Mushroom Soup


Yep - from scratch! I LOVE this soup - so does Brent. And I always get excited when I feel like the weather permits a nice hot soup for lunch. I remember the first time I made this soup I had to do it three times before I got it right (I misunderstood part of the recipe and it had disastrous results. LOL).....but boy was it worth it.


You will need:

1 lb mushrooms

1/2 cup butter/margarine

1 tsp lemon juice

1 small onion, sliced

1/2 cup flour

3 1/2 cups chicken broth (liquid)

1 tsp salt (I don't put this in...chicken broth already takes care of the salt in my opinion)

1/4 tsp pepper

1 cup evaporated milk (1 can)


Remove and trim mushroom stems and set aside. Slice caps thinly. Melt butter over medium heat - cook mushrooms and lemon juice until tender, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium low. Remove mushrooms. Cook onions and stems in remaining butter until tender. Blend in flour (sprinkle), add milk and broth and continue stirring until thickened. Blend in blender and return to pan. Add mushrooms (that you set aside before), salt (I don't), and pepper. Do not boil.


SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 5 STARS!!!


Perfect for those rainy or snowy *housebound* days.

No comments:

Post a Comment