Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Turkey Casserole

This all started with leftover turkey that we froze....if you're like me the thought of freezing and thawing turkey is really unappealing and bordering on gross. But surprisingly, it thaws perfectly, as though it was never even frozen at all. *strange* But we have about 6 cups in each ziploc which makes A LOT of sandwiches....There are a few options - Turkey Roll ups (ooo have I not put that on here? I'll have to check) or this new casserole that Brent really enjoys. So this was actually the second time I've made it...

16 oz (2 cups) uncooked spaghetti (I used macaroni the first time and shells the second time)
1/2 cup butter (I used 4 Tbsp)
1/2 cup flour (I used 1/3)
3 cups chicken broth (I used 2 cups)
2 cups of milk (the first time I used 1 cup milk and 1 cup 1/2 and 1/2 cream)
1 2/3 cup grated parm (I use about half parm and half shredded cheddar)
4 cups cooked turkey cut into small chunks (can also be made with chicken)
1/2 onion diced
2 garlic cloves diced
sliced mushrooms (about 4 - more or less if you want)
frozen peas (about 1 cup)

Cook pasta. In a pan sautee the onion and garlic in olive oil (or butter if you want). Add mushrooms and peas until soft. In a pot melt the butter and add flour, mixing well. Add chicken broth and milk. Mix well - will thicken as it heats. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add turkey :)

In a 9x13 casserole dish pour pasta and mix in sauteed veggies. Pour sauce and turkey mixture on top and cover with bread crumbs (if you don't have bread crumbs you can either crumble bread or smash crackers - ritz are great for topping). Bake for 40 minutes at 350 and ENJOY!! :D

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 4 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment