Friday, April 3, 2009

This month...

I did end up having Subway twice this week...but I opted for the ever delicious veggie sub (on italian herb and cheese bread - of course!) and only had a 6" instead of my usual footlong. Truly the footlong is too much but I always got it anyways and usually finished it. I'm watching my portion sizes as well as my actual hunger and honestly, taking both into account - a 6" is plenty for a meal for me.

I also made spaghetti - making meatsauce for Brent and the kids, but sauteeing veggies and topping with sauce and parm for myself. I really do prefer it to the meatsauce. I also had some leftover salad and put it in a pita for lunch today with my new favorite spread...(it's really good just on soda crackers too!!). It's healthy and delicious and great in a wrap! You can get it at Costco - it comes in a two pack container for $10. So, split it with a friend....it's a much healthier option to miracle whip/mayonnaise and in my opinion is sooo much better (I also have used garden vegetable and Chive and Onion cream cheese - roasted red pepper and herb and garlic would also probably be great too). Of course I really do love garlic :)

Tzatziki
Of Greek origin, Skotidakis Tzatziki is a yogurt-based sauce seasoned with cucumber and garlic. It can be served as an entrée along with bread or pita bread. Also known as an excellent accompaniment for lamb, roasted pork, seafood and grilled meats, such as kebabs. For a fresh, zesty taste, try it as salad dressing or a vegetable dip. Our Tzatziki is made with probiotic yogurt that contains an active culture Bifidobacterium lactis.

Thanks to my mother in law for passing it along - I love great finds like this!

I will be looking at cooking the following items this month:

BQ soup (not vegetarian), Glorified Hash Browns, Balsamic Pasta, Sloppy Janes (vegetarian version), Vegetarian Chili, Chick pea Curry (Vegetarian), Seitan Fajitas (anyone cooked with Seitan??? I hadn't heard of it until today...), and some others I'm about to search for online :) I'm hoping to branch out and try some new ingredients - wish me luck :D

Check out the following websites for different ideas (vegetarian or otherwise):

http://www.webecoist.com/ (Thanks Radelle for the link), http://www.thebittenword.com/, http://www.allrecipes.com/ (a fave!!!), http://www.easysaladrecipes.com/, and http://www.recipezaar.com/ - oh don't forget www.kraftcanada.com and www.cookingwithphilly.ca

Please let me know of any others that you have stumbled upon or read regularly - you can never have too many resources!

Bon Appetit!









No comments:

Post a Comment