Friday, April 10, 2009

Great meal, great company, great massage!

Unfortunately the massage was not for me :( Brent has been feeling REALLY stiff and sore for about a week and a half now - so last week I phone up my aunt (who just finished her massage therapy course and is AWESOME!!!) and asked if I could book Brent in. She's in the middle (well is done now) of painting her massage room so suggested she bring her table in. Considering she's driving to our house to give Brent a massage AND her husband is out of town I took the opportunity to invite her for dinner (I seriously LOVE cooking for people). She was not crazy like my friend Jenn a bit ago *wink* and agreed!

On the menu: Marinated chicken breasts, fried rice, sweet potatoes, and asparagus - with fruit salad for dessert. Superstore was out of lettuce when I did my grocery shopping so we didn't have a lettuce salad. I don't like buying prepackaged lettuce - not only do I find it expensive but I just prefer to get the romaine hearts. Anyways....

Chicken breasts - marinated from frozen all day in Kraft Roasted Red Pepper and Parmesan Salad Dressing. Their dressings are really great for marinades - and it's quick! We chose to bbq the chicken breasts, although have done them in the oven before (350 for about an hour). Both are great! The only thing I like better about the oven in this case is that the dressing then cooks as well and you can use it on top of your rice! mmmm....

Fried Rice - I've talked about a *few* times before. hehe...it's really a perfect addition to any meal. And since we don't eat a lot of potatoes, it's a great alternative! This time in the rice I put, onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, snap peas, and green onions. And of course I season with seasoning salt!

Sweet Potatoes - I love these more and more every time I have them. I've posted about them before too....slice up sweet potatoes into oven safe dish. Crush a couple garlic cloves and place in dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano....mix...oven 350 for about an hour (I had it on 400 to cook faster)! Make sure you stir it a couple of times while cooking.

Asparagus - normally I just steam it with butter. But I baked them once after my mother in law had done them and they were divine! This time they were alright - not fantastic, but okay. Cut off ends of asparagus and lay on baking sheet. Drizzle with melted butter or olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper...or garlic salt and pepper. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until soft. I honestly don't know how long they were in for - just watch them!

Fruit Salad - thanks to Jenn for picking awesome melons (I'm hopeless). We had cantaloupe, honeydew, strawberries, and pineapple! It was perfect - whipping cream would have been an absolutely divine touch but I didn't have any *pout*. Or ice cream....but it was honestly delish without. Grapes would have been a great addition too but the grapes at superstore (purple/red) were not appealling....

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 5 STARS

Then Brent got to relax and enjoy a fabulous hour massage! Thanks Carla!!!

(this post has a vegetarian label because of all the veggies involved...I realize chicken sort of eliminates it from the *vegetarian* category, but take that away and it's perfect! lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment