Monday, March 15, 2010

I love Granola

I really do...love it - but I rarely buy it as I find the cereal versions are not only ridiculously expensive but also loaded with sugar so while they taste fantastic the *health* factors are horribly overshadowed by the *crap* factors. So trying Alicia Silverstone's Granola Recipe (Mom's Granola) was high on my list.

6 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup maple sugar
3/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup sesame or sunflower seeds (I used sunflower)
1 cup chopped nuts or raisins (I used raisins but will probably add sliced almonds next time as well)
1/2 cup safflower oil
1/3 cup maple syrup (sweetest version) or brown rice syrup (I used brown rice syrup)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

And I added a light sprinkling of cinnamon just for fun.

Preheat oven to 350.
Spread the oats on a rimmed baking pan and bake for 10 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the sugar, wheat germ, coconut, seeds, and nuts or raisins. Stir to mix well and then add the oil, syrup, and vanilla extract. Mix until everything is moistened.

Spread half of the mixture on each of 2 rimmed baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes. Stir after 5 minutes to brown evenly.

Let the baked granola cool on the pans and then transfer to a bowl and stir until crumbly. Store in an airtight container.

By far THE BEST granola I have tasted. I think next time I'll add some slivered almonds and some flax as well...but truly this is awesome as it is. I may try it with maple syrup at some point though I would be inclined to leave out the maple sugar then and see how that goes. This granola does not need any more sweetener at all - it is sooo delicious. I have been having mine with vanilla rice milk and fresh strawberries and it's a fabulous way to start the day.

Can last for weeks or even months in a glass container!

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 5 STARS (hands down!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment