Monday, March 15, 2010

Bacon Wrapped Pineapple

I know - NOTHING is healthy about this dish...absolutely nothing. We had an 80's party this past weekend and I made these to take. I've made them before but didn't remember them being THIS good. I could have eaten the whole pan. I did half pineapple and half water chestnuts though I much prefer the pineapple.

This recipe is from Allrecipes.com - if you haven't ever browsed the site I highly recommend it.

1/2 pound sliced bacon, cut into thirds
1 (20oz) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained (I used tidbits because it's what I had....but chunks would be WAY better)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chili sauce

Preheat oven to 350. Wrap each chunk of pineapple with a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place in shallow baking dish. In a small bowl, stire together the brown sugar, mayonnaise, and chili sauce. Pour over bacon wrapped pineapple.
Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until bacon is crispy on the edges and the sauce is bubbly.

I baked the bacon before wrapping...just a bit to drip off some grease. I laid it on a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet. I think bacon tastes better baked anyways so whenever I make it for anything this is how I do it. I put it in for about 10 minutes - and after it's cooled I wrap the pineapple. Then I cook the bacon wrapped pineapple for about 20 minutes without any sauce on it....then another 20 minutes with the sauce. I also added a small *sploosh* of chili sauce just because.

These were soooo delicious....I made them the next night too for some company and they were a hit. VERY greasy though, even with the cookie sheet trick at the beginning.....so definitely not a regular treat. Besides, now I'm out of bacon and am making the effort to limit my meat intake so doubt I'll be buying it again any time soon.

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment