Saturday, May 9, 2009

back to it

I really need to get back to it....cooking...I've sort of dropped the ball a bit and gone the way of convenience and even *gasp* fast food (but doesn't it just taste soooo good!). When the weather gets warm (which it's not currently, but was) I sort of put other things ahead of cooking big meals and we end up eating whatever's around. But add to that a serious lack of groceries (I'm happy to reprort I've remedied that situation - and now have a lovely stock of fruits and vegetables) and we were in serious *trouble* (ie need for fast food. lol). I also was pretty sick for about 3 days and food just wasn't really appealling to me - why is it, that means everyone else has to starve?? *oops* (kidding...don't worry my kids were fed - thank heavens for an almost 5 year old that can help herself to pretty much anything. lol)

But I do still have a few things to blog about. First off, let's start with a new found quick meal that's really rather tasty! Thanks to my friend, Jenn we've enjoyed this meal more than once. It's quick and easy...and our kids love it too! I try not to buy hamburger helper meals because the salt content is pretty high and I'd rather make *from scratch* meals if I can help it. However, sometimes it's just nice to have something quick to throw together - even better if it tastes great too! So here you go....The first time I made them all up so all we had to do was grab one from the plate in the fridge and warm it up. Add some sour cream (really the perfect touch - but I LOVE sour cream. I've been known to make tacos JUST so I could have the sour cream) and salsa if you'd like (I prefer it without) and it's perfect. Add a salad and you've got a great and filling meal! The only thing I need is a non-stick pot - I must not stir it often enough because each time my pot gets a nice coating of stuck on rice *grr*

I know I didn't make it, but while I was feeling under the weather and really yucky (no, I'm not pregnant....and no I'm not trying...and no I'm not going to find out in a week that I really am like my cousin did after she expressed the exact same thing. LOL) the only thing I felt wouldn't really disrupt my stomach was a Subway veggie sub...seriously - divine...sometime I really do enjoy the meat ones (italian bmt for one) but more often than not it's the veggie one that just hits the spot. And, despite using Italian Herb and Cheese bread, I always feel healthier when I'm eating it. I always get the white cheese, lettuce, pickles, cucumbers, and onions (I detest tomatoes), a little mayonnaise, mustard, and pepper....and sub sauce (yep shot any chance of health there I know....added to the mayo - eeks!). Sooo delish....I never get them toasted - for some reason, to me only quizno's subs taste good toasted. wonder why that is??

Next....I made a meal one night that was just *okay*. Thankfully I have a husband who eats anything and everything and is happy doing just that. I took some chicken drumsticks (on sale again!!!) and cooked them sort of like I would a whole chicken. I sprinkled them with chicken oxo powder and seasoning salt....and pepper....and poured some water in the dish and covered with tin foil. Baked at 350 for close to an hour and told Brent to take the foil off for the last 10-15 minutes (I was out for the evening). It was *okay* - not great..not a make again...but it was sufficient. I really don't like wasting food, particularly chicken...so a few days when I realized the leftovers just weren't going to get eaten, I decided to try and salvage them. I baked them in bbq sauce (that I mixed with some brown sugar and water) for about 40 minutes...the result....AWESOME - Brent said. He got up and had seconds....HIP HIP HOORAY!! I love it when a salvage attempt goes so well. I absolutely love cooking for other people and when they truly enjoy and devour my efforts, it just makes me smile. I feel accomplished and valued - and THAT is something everybody loves! So an *okay* meal turned into an *awesome* meal - I may end up doing this first to chicken next time I want to coat it in bbq sauce. LOL

Ooo and a great lunch suggestion that I think is kind of fun for the kids...mini pitas. I absolutely love when I make the choice to buy them. The kids had chicken salad pits the other day for lunch and today had mayo and meat in them. Something fun - and kind of neat for the kids, particularly if you are having a larger pita for lunch. It's a great variation to a typical sandwich - and in my opinion is actually more enjoyable. I looooove pitas :)

Anyways - that's all for now. I do have some more recipes to post but as it's 1230am already I really should get to bed! Coming soon...pumpkin squares (I made them into cupcake/muffins this week), carmel popcorn (the best!!), pumpkin marble cheesecake, and some more dinner recipes I've been wanting to try!


And for anyone who has one - I'd love to get a bunch of chicken enchilada recipes in. My husband prefers the beef ones, but I'm determined to make some chicken ones he loves. LOL So send the recipes so I can look them over and try a few. (Auntie Glenda - if you're reading this....something tells me you have one...I keep remembering eating enchiladas when I was younger and for some reason I think it was at your house....would love the recipe to try!)

1 comment:

  1. I'll message you my Chicken Enchillada recipe tomorrow on FB...it's really good!

    ReplyDelete