Monday, November 16, 2009

I love Barley...

I like the convenience of Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup packs....I don't like the high salt and msg content, but I make it anyways. LOL My kids DEVOUR it. So a while back (a year ago or more) I started making it with veggies...I boil a bunch of chopped veggies (onions, carrots, celery, potatoes sometimes, and more recently leeks) for about 30 minutes and then add the soup mix. At least this way I feel like there is some good stuff in it.

This past week, however I was sick....and I didn't want to eat the noodles....So instead I made a vegetable stock (boiling the veggies chunks for 30 minutes or more) - no potatoes this time - and added some barley instead. One thing to remember though is that Barley soaks up quite a bit of water so be sure to compensate accordingly. I added a few tsp of chicken broth and away I went. I'm looking to buy big tubs of vegetable broth but haven't found the knorr stuff here yet.

anyways - Brent had some for dinner that night and said partway through,  "You know, I could eat soup like this every night" - To which I replied, "Good because I plan to make a ton of it this winter!" LOL...Turns out - he loves barley like I love barley. Delicious!!!

A quick and easy meal that you are bound to have most of the ingredients for. Pick up some barley on your next grocery trip (it's sooo cheap) and keep it on hand just in case. I actually added some to the lipton soup for the kids just to give something extra to it. They didn't even notice!!!

SERIOUSLY SCRUMPTIOUS RATING: 4 1/2 STARS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment